Assisting in a citizen science project is a great way to participate in scientific research.
There are several opportunities for citizen scientists in Central Queensland, including:
- Fitzroy Partnership for River Health – upload data about your local creeks and see how healthy it is.
- Birdlife Capricornia – join the annual Backyard Bird Count or Challenge Count.
In addition, there are thousands of projects that you can assist online, where ever you are. Some of the best that I have found are:
- Atlas of Living Australia – upload your sightings and contribute to a nationwide wealth of knowledge.
- Digivol – Transcribe specimen labels to make them available to researchers and the general public.
- Zooniverse – one of the most successful citizen science projects, with over one million contributors.